The castability design assessment requires the development of methods material: selection, configuration planning and nature specification, guidelines and cost analysis.
Castability Design The requirements for performance, castability and cost are closely related. Choosing the quality of materials such as metal alloy that best meet the performance and castability requirements such are pouring temperature, fluidity, dimensional stability. Geometry influences coherent texture and uniformly closes and it also eliminates shrinkage porosity in critical areas.
Showcase Description Goal The goal of this project is to improve the castability design and analysis. It also inculcates the techniques of designing guidelines such as guidelines for cores, solidification and feeding, mould filling and gating. This offers a great impact on the cost estimation.
Progress and Milestone
- Geometry Features - Geometric features are important information to design the castability .It is checked by simple health-checks such as base feature, form feature and tooling feature and can be enhanced by construct and enhanced basic visualization techniques. These techniques provide
- Filling and solidification techniques - These tasks result in shaped casting and are improved by minimizing the turbulence during filling. The process of solidification is dominated by element effects on elevated temperature strength and cooling rate during and after solidification.
- Casting simulation -This technique interprets the casting defects and develops features to provide design performance such as prevention of hard spots cold shuts and distortion.
- Implement system improvements - The castability checks indicate the potential problem and design part create s intricate shapes of materials. Known weaknesses in current methods can be removed by computer simulation. It is a powerful tool for achieving quality assurance without time consuming. It can reduce castability design defects and manufacturing cost.
Casting cost estimation Cost estimation is the prime tool for planning and tracking mechanism. Casting cost representation is estimated by its attributes such material, geometric and quality .The tools have been developed to estimate the cost related to material and conversion (energy and labor cost). It reflects the cost data among tool makers enabling design modification to achieve the targeted cost. This task is developing DTC model which represents Design of the part, Tooling and Process. It provides design performance measures and implements an evaluation of process and modifications. By using what-if cost exploration we can assist the prospect in understanding how cost may be reduced in the design of castability.
Recommendation Considering the techniques, bracket casting reduces the number of cores and turbulence without using stepped parting. The castability health-checks can be maximized by the process of computer simulation and by DFM (design for manufacture) for improving the design techniques. The three dimensionless equations can also improve castability design:
- The ratio of part volume and its dimension along three orthographic axes.
- The ratio of surface area of cube and ratio of cast part
- In terms of number of features such as hole, pocket, slot, rib etc.