The fifth and the final stage of casting process is cleaning. The process refers to different activities that are performed to remove the sand, scale and excess metal from the casting. Some of the activities performed in cleaning are -
- The casting is separated from the mold and transported to the cleaning department.
- Burned-on sand and scale are removed.
- Excess metal is removed (Fins, wires, parting line fins, and gates).
- Subsequently the casting can be upgraded using welding or other such as procedures.
- Final testing and inspection to check for any defects.
- Improves the surface appearance and finish of casting
- Improves overall quality and functionality by removing impurities, such as sand, scale and excess metal
Finally the sand from the mold is separated and processed through a reclamation system for further use.